Marion’s one-story brick passenger train station, typical of the architectural style used for earlier small town stations, was built in 1908 for the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad. The first railroad through Marion was the Wilmington and Manchester, which was completed in 1854. It was later incorporated into the Atlantic Coast Line in 1900. The current depot was closed to passengers in 1966. Decorative brackets, floating over beautiful windows constructed of stone lentils and sills support a slate roof with an overhang. The City of Marion currently owns the Depot and major renovations were completed in 2005. It is now home to the Marion Chamber of Commerce and it is on the State Historical Registry.